Rio, 11 ministers take oath in Nagaland
Kohima: Neiphiu Rio was on tuesday sworn in for a third straight term as Chief Minister of Nagaland along with 11 ministers by the Governor at a glittering function at the Raj Bhavan here.
All the eleven ministers were from his own party, the Naga People’s Front (NPF), which had won 38 seats in the 60-member house.
The NPF is supported by two alliance partners, BJP and JD(U) with one MLA each, while it has the unconditional support of 7 Independents.
Governor Nikhil Kumar administered the oath of office and secrecy to the 63-year-old chief minister, followed by his ministers, Noke Konyak, TR Zeliang, G Kaito Aye, Imkong L. Imchen, Kuzholuzo Nienu, Kiyaneilie Peseyie, Yanthungo Patton, CM Chang, EE Pangteang, S Pangyuh Phom and R Merentoshi Jamir.
Imchen, who was Home minister in the earlier ministry, had been arrested after recovery of Rs 1.10 crore in cash, arms and ammunition allegedly from his car in Wokha district on February 18. He had subsequently resigned.
Rio, Noke, Zeliang, Aye, Imchen and Nienu served earlier as ministers.
Two-time Speaker Kiyaneilie Peseyie, former parliamentary secretary Yanthungo Patton, former Lok Sabha MP CM Chang, former advisor Department for Development of Backward Area EE Pangteang, former parliamentary secretary Rural Development and R. Merentoshi Jamir are among six who would hold cabinet rank for the first time.
Jamir at 32 and the youngest among the ministers was the only fresh face to be given a berth.
The Chief Minister told a news agency that the portfolios would be announced after the swearing in of Parliamentary Secretaries in the evening at his office.
A host of dignitaries including independent MLAs, NPF president Shurhozelie, senior bureaucrats, officers from the police and paramilitary forces and representatives of NGOs attended the swearing-in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days