Rio hopes Naga issue will be resolved soon
Kolkata: Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio today expressed hope that the vexed Naga issue would be resolved soon and the issue should not be kept pending by the Centre.
"The problem in Nagaland is not only of Nagaland`s, it`s a national problem and the Centre should not keep the issue pending for long. If you want peace, allow others to live in peace. In a democracy everybody has a right to live in peace," Rio told reporters after the inauguration of the second Nagaland House here.
"I am always optimistic and look at the brighter side of life. Hope the vexed Naga issue will be resolved soon with special initiative of the Centre," the chief minister said.
"A proposal to bring the Nagas together is always welcome, but there should be at least emotional, political and socio-cultural integration if territorial integrity is not possible," Rio said.
"Nagas are divided without their consent. They are now spread across Nagaland, Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh, besides neighbouring Myanmar. But the Nagas want to be together. Even those who went underground want to return to the mainstream," Rio said.
Stating that the Naga political issue was very complicated, Rio said that it would be a good gesture if all groups were united.
"But I don`t think all of them will come together for discussion," he said.
"All of us have been insisting that there should be re-conciliation and unity among Naga underground groups, but at the same time we overground politicians irrespective of party affiliation should be united first on the Naga political issue," Rio said.
"Unfortunately, understanding among all political parties has not taken place so far despite the efforts of DAN government to bring all over ground politicians to a common platform on the vexed political problem, since it came to power," he said.
Earlier, the Rs 15 crore second Nagaland House was inaugurated by Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report