Roshan Warjri - Meghalaya’s 1st woman HM
Shillong: Roshan Warjri, a three-time legislator, has been given charge of the Home department in the Mukul Sangma Congress-led government in Meghalaya, making her the first woman to hold the portfolio since 1972 when the state was formed.
The Chief Minister kept Mining, Tourism, Commerce and Industries, Tourism Planning, Finance, Personnel and other portfolios not allotted to any other minister.
An official notification was issued Tuesday night.
Deputy Chief Minister Rowell Lyngdoh will hold the charge of Home (Passport).
The other Deputy Chief Minister, Roytre C Laloo has been given PHE, Education (School Education and Literacy and Higher and Technical Education) and Revenue and Disaster Management, besides Reorganisation.
A L Hek, who deserted the BJP to join the Congress in 2009 was given Health and Family Welfare, Information Technology, Information and Public Relations and Registration and Stamps.
Among the new faces in the cabinet, Sniawbhalang Dharwas has been given PWD (Roads) and Civil Defense & Home Guards and Legal Metrology, while Clement Marak has been allotted Power, Food & Civil Supplies, Consumer Affairs and Arts and Culture.
Former Home Minister H D R Lyngdoh has been given Transport, General Administration Department (GAD), District Council Affairs (DCA) and Cooperation.
The two other women in the cabinet, Ampareen Lyngdoh will continue to hold the Urban Affairs and Municipal Affairs, while Deborah C Marak who made a comeback this year was given Social Welfare, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary, Printing and Stationery and Secretariat Administration Department.
Warjri will hold additional responsibility of PWD (Buildings).
The 11 ministers were sworn in by Governor R S Mooshahary yesterday.
The Congress had won 29 seats, two short of absolute majority in the 60-member House in the February 23 elections.
Twelve independent MLAs will also support the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’