Rs 382 cr deficit budget presented in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma Monday presented a Rs 382 crore deficit budget for 2012-13 with a proposal for an increase in levy on alcohol and
tobacco as measures to generate additional revenue for the
The fiscal deficit of Rs 382 crore is around 2.06 per
cent of the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), marking a 37
crore reduction as compared to that of 2010-11.
The Chief Minister tabled a plan budget of Rs 3535 crore, the actual size of which would be finalized shortly in consultation with the Planning Commission.
Sangma, who holds the finance portfolio, proposed to
introduce ad volarem levy and increase VAT on liquor in
addition to a proposed enhancement in licence fees.
"VAT on tobacco and tobacco products will also be
increased from Rs 12.5 to Rs 13.5 per cent besides a plan to
include beedi in the tax net by way of amendment of the
appropriate schedule," he said.
The Chief Minister proposed to raise the ceiling in the
rate of professional tax with the Centre and by amendment of
Article 276 (2) of the Constitution.
"These measures are expected to generate additional
revenue to the tune of Rs 12 crore," he said.
According to the Chief Minister, the total receipts in
2012-13 is estimated to be Rs 6999 crore excluding borrowings
and other liabilities.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!