Rs 382 cr deficit budget presented in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma Monday presented a Rs 382 crore deficit budget for 2012-13 with a proposal for an increase in levy on alcohol and
tobacco as measures to generate additional revenue for the
The fiscal deficit of Rs 382 crore is around 2.06 per
cent of the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), marking a 37
crore reduction as compared to that of 2010-11.
The Chief Minister tabled a plan budget of Rs 3535 crore, the actual size of which would be finalized shortly in consultation with the Planning Commission.
Sangma, who holds the finance portfolio, proposed to
introduce ad volarem levy and increase VAT on liquor in
addition to a proposed enhancement in licence fees.
"VAT on tobacco and tobacco products will also be
increased from Rs 12.5 to Rs 13.5 per cent besides a plan to
include beedi in the tax net by way of amendment of the
appropriate schedule," he said.
The Chief Minister proposed to raise the ceiling in the
rate of professional tax with the Centre and by amendment of
Article 276 (2) of the Constitution.
"These measures are expected to generate additional
revenue to the tune of Rs 12 crore," he said.
According to the Chief Minister, the total receipts in
2012-13 is estimated to be Rs 6999 crore excluding borrowings
and other liabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen