Rs 382 cr deficit budget presented in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma Monday presented a Rs 382 crore deficit budget for 2012-13 with a proposal for an increase in levy on alcohol and
tobacco as measures to generate additional revenue for the
The fiscal deficit of Rs 382 crore is around 2.06 per
cent of the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), marking a 37
crore reduction as compared to that of 2010-11.
The Chief Minister tabled a plan budget of Rs 3535 crore, the actual size of which would be finalized shortly in consultation with the Planning Commission.
Sangma, who holds the finance portfolio, proposed to
introduce ad volarem levy and increase VAT on liquor in
addition to a proposed enhancement in licence fees.
"VAT on tobacco and tobacco products will also be
increased from Rs 12.5 to Rs 13.5 per cent besides a plan to
include beedi in the tax net by way of amendment of the
appropriate schedule," he said.
The Chief Minister proposed to raise the ceiling in the
rate of professional tax with the Centre and by amendment of
Article 276 (2) of the Constitution.
"These measures are expected to generate additional
revenue to the tune of Rs 12 crore," he said.
According to the Chief Minister, the total receipts in
2012-13 is estimated to be Rs 6999 crore excluding borrowings
and other liabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video