Rs 382 cr deficit budget presented in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma Monday presented a Rs 382 crore deficit budget for 2012-13 with a proposal for an increase in levy on alcohol and
tobacco as measures to generate additional revenue for the
The fiscal deficit of Rs 382 crore is around 2.06 per
cent of the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), marking a 37
crore reduction as compared to that of 2010-11.
The Chief Minister tabled a plan budget of Rs 3535 crore, the actual size of which would be finalized shortly in consultation with the Planning Commission.
Sangma, who holds the finance portfolio, proposed to
introduce ad volarem levy and increase VAT on liquor in
addition to a proposed enhancement in licence fees.
"VAT on tobacco and tobacco products will also be
increased from Rs 12.5 to Rs 13.5 per cent besides a plan to
include beedi in the tax net by way of amendment of the
appropriate schedule," he said.
The Chief Minister proposed to raise the ceiling in the
rate of professional tax with the Centre and by amendment of
Article 276 (2) of the Constitution.
"These measures are expected to generate additional
revenue to the tune of Rs 12 crore," he said.
According to the Chief Minister, the total receipts in
2012-13 is estimated to be Rs 6999 crore excluding borrowings
and other liabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH