Rs 382 cr deficit budget presented in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma Monday presented a Rs 382 crore deficit budget for 2012-13 with a proposal for an increase in levy on alcohol and
tobacco as measures to generate additional revenue for the
The fiscal deficit of Rs 382 crore is around 2.06 per
cent of the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), marking a 37
crore reduction as compared to that of 2010-11.
The Chief Minister tabled a plan budget of Rs 3535 crore, the actual size of which would be finalized shortly in consultation with the Planning Commission.
Sangma, who holds the finance portfolio, proposed to
introduce ad volarem levy and increase VAT on liquor in
addition to a proposed enhancement in licence fees.
"VAT on tobacco and tobacco products will also be
increased from Rs 12.5 to Rs 13.5 per cent besides a plan to
include beedi in the tax net by way of amendment of the
appropriate schedule," he said.
The Chief Minister proposed to raise the ceiling in the
rate of professional tax with the Centre and by amendment of
Article 276 (2) of the Constitution.
"These measures are expected to generate additional
revenue to the tune of Rs 12 crore," he said.
According to the Chief Minister, the total receipts in
2012-13 is estimated to be Rs 6999 crore excluding borrowings
and other liabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Wow! UP govt to set up theme park on K Asif's magnum opus ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ in Etawah
- India 'A' leads table with 11 points despite match with South Africa 'A' being abandoned due to rain
- Sakshi Malik's felicitation ceremony: Fans disappointed, as Netas hog limelight, wrestler doesn't get to speak
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I Preview: Two countries enter new world of cricket in United States