Ruling Congress candidate wins Chalfilh bypoll
Aizawl: Ruling Congress nominee Ngurdingliana won the by-poll to Chalfilh Assembly seat, defeating his nearest rival Mizo National Front candidate Lalvenhima Hmar by a margin of 2,834 votes.
This is the highest-ever victory margin in the seat since 1972 when Mizoram began to have a separate legislature.
Ngurdingliana secured 7,005 votes out of the 13,703 votes polled while Hmar managed to bag 4,171 votes.
Polling for the seat was held on February 23.
Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) candidate Lalhmangaiha Sailo, son of former chief minister Brig Thenphunga Sailo and present chief of MPC got 1,274 to secure the third position while Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) nominee C Lalchhandama trailed behind with 976 votes.
BJP candidate C Ramkinlova secured 58 votes while Lok Janshakti Party (LJP)`s D.K. Thanga came last with mere 14 votes and the lone independent candidate R. Lalrohlua secured 205 votes.
Ngurdingliana is the son of former Speaker of the state legislature Dr H. Thansanga, who had won two times earlier from the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details