Ruling Congress candidate wins Chalfilh bypoll
Aizawl: Ruling Congress nominee Ngurdingliana won the by-poll to Chalfilh Assembly seat, defeating his nearest rival Mizo National Front candidate Lalvenhima Hmar by a margin of 2,834 votes.
This is the highest-ever victory margin in the seat since 1972 when Mizoram began to have a separate legislature.
Ngurdingliana secured 7,005 votes out of the 13,703 votes polled while Hmar managed to bag 4,171 votes.
Polling for the seat was held on February 23.
Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) candidate Lalhmangaiha Sailo, son of former chief minister Brig Thenphunga Sailo and present chief of MPC got 1,274 to secure the third position while Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) nominee C Lalchhandama trailed behind with 976 votes.
BJP candidate C Ramkinlova secured 58 votes while Lok Janshakti Party (LJP)`s D.K. Thanga came last with mere 14 votes and the lone independent candidate R. Lalrohlua secured 205 votes.
Ngurdingliana is the son of former Speaker of the state legislature Dr H. Thansanga, who had won two times earlier from the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Gun battle kills five militants, wounds 10 in Afghanistan
- Government to set up Rs 1.5k crore payment security fund for solar projects
- Rising dengue cases: PIL accuses govt of not being vigilant
- Is Sophie Choudry secretly engaged? Here's the truth
- 'Consumers likely to feel pinch as coal freight hike may force companies to shift burden'