Ruling Congress in Manipur divided over MPCC chief
Imphal: The Congress in Manipur was divided
over the issue of electing a `consensus` president of the
Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on September 17,
party sources said today.
Some senior party leaders including ministers want the
present incumbent Gaikhangam to continue as president but some
young ministers, pradesh congress committee members and
district presidents of the party favour the chairman of the
Manipur Pollution Control board E Dwijamani, the sources said.
They said efforts were within the party to avoid election
but it was not making any headway so far because young members
of the party was sticking to their demand.
"We would like to elect a new popular president by holding
elections to uphold democracy and strengthen the party," some
young district Congress presidents and PCC members said.
Gaikhangam, who has been MPCC president for over five
years, is now in Delhi meeting central leaders to discuss
party affairs and forthcoming party elections in the state,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling