Ruling NPF contesting all 60 seats in Nagaland polls
Kohima: The ruling Nagaland People`s Front (NPF) is the only party which has put up candidates in all the 60-seats for the February 23 polls to the Nagaland assembly.
Opposition Congress has put up the second largest number of candidates after the ruling NPF in 57 seats.
While the Bharitya Janata Party (BJP) has put up candidates in 11 seats, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has fielded 15 candidates in the electoral fray.
The Janata Dal (United) and the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has put up candidates in three and two seats respectively, while the United Naga Democratic Party (UNDP) has fielded candidate in only one seat.
After the NPF and the Congress, the Independents are the largest chunk of candidates with 39 Independent candidate in the fray for the February 23 polls.
A total of 188 candidates are contesting for the 60 seats of the Nagaland Assembly.
One-third of the seats or 20 seats will witness a straight contest with only two candidates in the fray.
The maximum number of candidates contesting from a constituency is six. Only two constituency Sanis and Bhandari will see six contestants contesting from the seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand