Sangma seeks PM`s nod to include rail connectivity as national project
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Wednesday sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s nod to include the railway link, along the state`s border with Bangladesh, connecting Assam at both ends as a national project.
"There is an urgent need to take up rail connectivity from Agia to Badarpur via Meghalaya along the Indo-Bangladesh border," Sangma said in his presentation to Singh.
He said the connectivity would accelerate trade and commerce with Bangladesh. According to Sangma, the area along the International border in the state is rich in minerals besides connecting Barak Valley in Assam, Tripura, Mizoram and all land custom stations in these states.
Seeking immediate implementation of the upgradation works of NH 127(B) connecting Srirampur in West Bengal and Nongstoin in Meghalaya via Dhubri in Assam, Mukul said the road has the potential to transform the region`s socio-economic landscape.
The state had earlier sought Rs 3000 crore special package from the Prime Minister, over and above the Rs 4151 crore plan approved by the Planning Commission, to support the state`s flagship basin development program, for construction of a new Assembly complex and creation of new township to ease congestion of the state`s capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead