Sangma`s move to float new party may affect Meghalaya
Shillong: The ruling Congress in Meghalaya said P A Sangma`s decision to float a national party, exclusively for tribal communities, could affect the state.
"Charity begins at home....No brain drain is necessary when he could contribute so much to state politics," Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee President and former Chief Minister D D Lapang said.
The comments came as yesterday Sangma, who is projecting himself as a tribal leader of the country, had categorically ruled out any possibility of his joining state politics and wishing to float a national party for tribals.
Asked whether Congress is relieved to know that the former chief minister is not contesting elections in the state, Lapang said "with him (Sangma) or without him, the Congress is having an advantage in the coming elections.
"We will watch and see, we don?t know because he has always changed his stand in the past...I am sure he must be trying to define on actually which course he is taking," Mukul said.
On the idea of a national party for the tribals, he said, "I am very happy to belong to the Indian National Congress, a party which has given such a huge platform for leaders belonging to all sections of people across the country irrespective of caste, creed and communities.
Mukul also reminded how Sangma was such an important person in the Congress prior to his rebel against UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi for her foreign origin.
"Mr P A Sangma was also one of the most important politicians in the party who had been given that platform at the INC," Mukul said.
As the state gears for the assembly elections early next year, the political situation is getting hotter between the ruling Congress and the NCP.
At present the NCP has 13 legislators in the House of 60 MLAs while the Congress has 28.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended