SC Jamir loses Aonglenden bypoll
Kohima: Former Nagaland Chief Minister
and senior Congress leader S C Jamir on Friday lost the Aonglenden
Assembly bypoll to ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) candidate
Toshikopba Longkumer by over 1,300 votes.
Jamir, the longest serving chief minister of Nagaland,
had won from the Aonglenden seat in Mokokchong district a
number of times in the past. He was staying away from the
state for nearly a decade due to gubernatorial assignments in
Goa and Maharashtra.
Bypoll for the Aonglenden seat was held on May 7 which
saw a high voter turnout of about 88 per cent.
The by-poll was necessitated following the death of
Congress MLA Nungshizenba Longkumer last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen