SC Jamir loses Aonglenden bypoll
Kohima: Former Nagaland Chief Minister
and senior Congress leader S C Jamir on Friday lost the Aonglenden
Assembly bypoll to ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) candidate
Toshikopba Longkumer by over 1,300 votes.
Jamir, the longest serving chief minister of Nagaland,
had won from the Aonglenden seat in Mokokchong district a
number of times in the past. He was staying away from the
state for nearly a decade due to gubernatorial assignments in
Goa and Maharashtra.
Bypoll for the Aonglenden seat was held on May 7 which
saw a high voter turnout of about 88 per cent.
The by-poll was necessitated following the death of
Congress MLA Nungshizenba Longkumer last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire