Scholarship announced for students pursuing sciences in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Wednesday announced scholarships for all students pursuing sciences in their higher studies.
"The government has decided to award scholarship to all students pursuing higher studies in sciences," Sangma told an international seminar here.
He said the scholarship was aimed at attracting students to take up sciences as a career and to help bright students who came from rural areas.
The chief minister said, the scheme was also partially aimed at improving the education in those districts which fared badly in the state’s board exams.
The state’s remotest districts of South and West Garo Hills fared badly in the recently in Class X examinations with pass percentage well below 25 per cent.
Meghalaya was at an advanced stage of signing a US$ 100,000 human resources project funded by the Asian Development Bank.
It was aimed at increasing the employability of those aged 16 to 35 years by improving the quality and delivery of its secondary and higher secondary education, besides providing technical and vocational skill development programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!