Scholarship announced for students pursuing sciences in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Wednesday announced scholarships for all students pursuing sciences in their higher studies.
"The government has decided to award scholarship to all students pursuing higher studies in sciences," Sangma told an international seminar here.
He said the scholarship was aimed at attracting students to take up sciences as a career and to help bright students who came from rural areas.
The chief minister said, the scheme was also partially aimed at improving the education in those districts which fared badly in the state’s board exams.
The state’s remotest districts of South and West Garo Hills fared badly in the recently in Class X examinations with pass percentage well below 25 per cent.
Meghalaya was at an advanced stage of signing a US$ 100,000 human resources project funded by the Asian Development Bank.
It was aimed at increasing the employability of those aged 16 to 35 years by improving the quality and delivery of its secondary and higher secondary education, besides providing technical and vocational skill development programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?