Security beefed up in Tripura in view of boycott call
Agartala: Security was beefed up in Tripura as some insurgent outfits, including the National Liberation Front of Tripua (NLFT), has called for boycott of the Republic Day, police said on Friday.
Security was enhanced near the residence of VIPs, Raj Bhavan, Civil Secretariat, Assembly House and patrolling was intensified in the remote and hilly areas by Tripura State Rifles (TSR), the sources said.
The BSF has intensified its vigil along the 856-km long international border with Bangladesh.
Bomb and dog squads were making regular checks in vulnerable areas and the vehicles entering the towns including the capital city are also being checked to thwart any attempt of carrying fire arms or explosives, they said.
The Union Home ministry has also dispatched a note to the state Home department to make tight security arrangement after insurgent groups issued the call to boycott the Republic Day.
The NLFT, United Liberation Front of Assam (Independent), National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit), Hynnewtrep Liberation Council (of Meghalaya), Kamatapur Liberation Organization and a few Manipur-based groups have given the boycott call.
Assam Rifles personnel were deployed for patrolling in Kanchanpur sub-division of north Tripura district bordering Mizoram where NLFT insurgents are active, police said.
The CRPF was engaged in guarding the national highways as well as sensitive interior pockets.
The Northeast Frontier Railway has also rescheduled train services between Agartala - Lumding, and Agartala, Silchar on security grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant