Security intensified at Mao checkgate to stall Muivah`s visit
Imphal/Kohima: Security was intensified at Mao checkgate on the Manipur-Nagaland border to arrest NSCN (IM) general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah the moment he entered Manipur to reach his native village, as a 48-hour general strike to protest against the visit crippled life across the state.
Official reports said Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh had informed the Prime Minister and Union Home Minister about the situation in the state following the killing of
three persons at the Mao gate on the Nagaland side in a stampede resulting from the bursting of tear gas shells by the Manipur police yesterday.
On the other hand, Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio in a statement has held the Ibobi Singh government "solely responsible" for the tense situation arising out of Muivah`s proposed visit to Somdal, his village in Ukhrul district.
He said the Nagaland government had arranged for humanitarian and emergency services to the injured in yesterday`s incident.
Rio said the alleged "repressive action" of the Manipur
government might jeopardise peace talks between the Centre and
Naga underground groups.
"It is unfortunate that the brute forces of the state
government are being blatantly used to suppress the genuine
voice and democratic rights of the people enshrined in the
Constitution of India," Rio said in his statement issued last
Various Naga organizations blame Manipur government for
the incident and have asked the Centre to defuse the tension
over Muivah`s proposed visit, which has been put off following
Official reports said markets, shops and business
establishments remained closed and transport services to
neighbouring states were cancelled in response to the strike
called by the All-Manipur United Clubs` Organisation last
Muivah`s visit has been opposed by Manipur government
that says it would disturb communal amity in the state.
The NSCN(IM) has been demanding a `greater Nagaland`
proposed be formed by merging Naga populated areas of
adjoining states, which has been rejected by Manipur, Assam
and Arunachal Pradesh governments.
Several organizations like Naga Hoho, Naga Students`
Federation, Naga Mothers` Association, Naga People`s Movement
for Human Rights and Tenyimi People`s Organization, said they
condemned "the barbaric and inhuman act" of the Manipur
Nagaland medical minister Kuzholuzo Nienu, accompanied by
a local MLA, visited Naga Hospital in Kohima where seven of
the injured are admitted.
The minister told newsmen that apart from one injured who
was put in the ICU, the remaining six were declared out of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly