Security intensifies in militant-hit areas in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya government is intensifying security arrangements in five Garo Hills districts in view of increasing militant activities in the area, officials said here Wednesday.
The decision was taken at a review meeting by Home Minister H D R Lyngdoh with district administrators and police chiefs at Tura, the West Garo Hills district headquarters.
"The meeting had a threadbare discussion assessing the overall situation prevailing in all the five districts in the Garo Hills region with special attention to militancy problem," the sources said.
The exercise was necessary following frequent attacks on politicians by militant outfits in the region. The home minister also directed the police to work in close co-ordination with BSF, CRPF and other security agencies.
The director general of police of the state was currently touring the militant-hit districts to review the law and order situation and if necessary to see if re-calibration of strategies was required, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!