Security measures beefed up in Arunachal
Itanagar: Security measures have been beefed up in Lower Dibang Valley district of Arunachal Pradesh following intelligence reports of infiltration by some
insurgents and Maoist groups from neighbouring Assam.
Official sources said here today that the anti-socials would try to create a sense of insecurity among the people and were likely to disrupt the proposed public hearing of 3000 MW Dibang Multi-Purpose hydro-electric project on October 24.
Lower Dibang Valley Deputy Commissioner Garima Gupta and Superintendent of Police Veenu Bansal said during a security review meeting yesterday at Roing that the district headquarters and the citizens had been put on alert, the sources said.
The SP informed that on interrogation of the persons recently arrested in connection with the GREF arms-and-cash loot case and the Maoists in Lohit district, some alarming facts of the nexus between the insurgents and Maoists had come to light.
Their agenda was to provoke the locals against the power projects that have been proposed in Dibang Valley and the Maoists were working over ground as anti-dam activists, the SP said.
Bansal also sai the persons arrested in Lohit district were found to be members of a Maoist organization called Upper Assam Leading Committee of the Communist Party of India (Maoist) which may also have links with Maoists in West Bengal, Chattisgarh and Jharkhand.
In view of the threat, security measures have been beefed up and night patrolling by paramilitary forces has been intensified in soft target areas in the district, the sources said.
The DC and the SP appealed to the people to cooperate with the district administration and police by remaining vigilant and inform the police if any new face or strangers are found involved in suspicious activities in their area.
Labourers employed from outside the state should obtain inner line permit before they were employed, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?