Security measures stepped up for President`s visit in Manipur
Imphal: Security has been beefed up with central paramilitary forces and the state police combing various parts of Manipur capital complex in view of the proposed visit of President Pranab Mukherjee on April 29.
Mukherjee would be the chief guest at the 14th convocation of Manipur University.
Police sources said random checking of passers-by have been launched at various places around Kanchipur area, the location of the university, about five kilometre from capital complex to detect movement and infiltration of the militants.
Six major militant outfits have called for a 12-hour general strike on April 29 and also for boycott of the visit of the President alleging that the people of Manipur were being tortured by Central forces in the name of dealing with insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state