Security tightened in Darjeeling ahead of GJM rally
Darjeeling: Security has been beefed up here
with CRPF and police personnel posted in strength in view of
the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha`s (GJM) proposed rally to
demonstrate its show of strength after the brutal killing of
Gorkha leader Madan Tamang.
Adequate security measures have been made in the entire
hill town to maintain law and order due to the GJM rally as
police said they would take no chance.
Police was also posted in strength at North Point School
ground, venue of the rally.
GJM president Bimal Gurung had earlier announced to
gather five lakh people at tomorrow`s rally as most of the
political parties, particularly CPI(M), claimed that Morcha`s
support was diminishing after the angry protests following the
murder of Akhil Bharatiya Gorkha League chief on May 21.
Meanwhile, a condolence meeting was held here this
afternoon, which was attended, among others by GNLF, CPRM, BJP
and allies of 7-party democratic alliance formed by Tamang.
Tamang`s widow Bharati demanded arrest and exemplary
punishment of her husband`s killers.
An all-faith prayer was also held at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen