Security tightened in Manipur ahead of I-Day
Imphal: Security measures have been tightened particularly in valley districts of Manipur to intercept movement of militants ahead of the Independence Day celebrations, police said on Saturday.
Police commandos, attached to Imphal East and Imphal West district police stations, have been conducting surprise search operations at Imphal market complex and nearby areas in the heart of the capital for the past few days to detect movement of ultras who are likely to disturb the I-Day celebrations, police said.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (commandos) S Ibomcha Singh has made an appeal to the people to carry their identity cards or documents during movements.
All police and security outposts both in hills and valley have been asked to step up patrolling within their jurisdiction to intercept movement of insurgents who have been boycotting Independence Day and Republic Day celebrations in Manipur for the past more than three decades, police said.
Reports from interior districts said security measures had been tightened along Indo-Myanmar border to prevent entry of militants of different outfits from Myanmar jungles.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks