Security tightened in Manipur for I-Day
Imphal: Security measures on Friday got tightened in Manipur because of the boycott call and general strike on Independence Day by seven major insurgent groups in the state, police said.
Passengers witnessed frisking and checking at various locations for intercepting movement of ultras, who might sneak into the capital complex in order to disrupt the Independence day celebrations slated for Monday, they said.
Central para military forces such as CRPF, BSF and Assam Rifles will be deployed on all the strategic locations starting from August 13 till August 15 evening so as to avoid any attempt to destroy important installations or disturb law and order.
Police also requested the general public to be more vigilant and appealed them to avoid handling or touching any unclaimed objects, in case any suspicious object found they must be reported immediately. Seven major insurgent organisations—Revolutionary People`s Front (RPF), Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL), United National Liberation Front (UNLF), People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK), PREPAK (Progressive), Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP) and United People`s Party of Kangleipak (UPPK)—together gave a joint statement saying they would boycott the Independence day celebrations in Manipur that had been "merged forcefully" with the Union in 1949, also calling a general strike on the same day.
The organisations recently coordinated a committee to step up their activities for `an independent Manipur` amongst the 12 militant organisations in the north eastern states, that have called for a boycott of Independence day celebrations in the region and proposing general strike.
A senior police official was reported saying, every effort is being made to ensure peaceful celebrations on Monday and different areas have been cordon off to launch search operations that had already began some days
ago in Imphal and in its outskirts to detect presence of insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test