Security tightened to protect non-Manipuri labourers
Imphal: The Manipur government has tightened security measures to protect non-Manipuri migrant labourers following recent attacks on them by unidentified persons.
The latest attack on non-Manipuris occurred on June 27 in which two non-locals were killed and three others seriously injured here.
Officials said various mobile check posts have been set up at different places where there was a huge concentration of non-local migrant labourers. Routine patrolling of these areas has been also been intensified.
Police inspectors, posted in different parts of the state, have been called up and were being deployed at Imphal and other city areas.
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam, who also holds the home portfolio, had said recently that the government would not only intensify the security measures to protect the non-Manipuris but also try to find out the persons behind the attack on these people.
On May 04, unidentified persons had exploded a powerful grenade at a bakery factory at Chingmeirong area on the outskirts of Imphal in which five persons, all non-local migrant labourers, were seriously injured.
In the past two years, official sources said at least 15 non-local migrant labourers have been killed in different places in Manipur.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for these incidents. But a paper attached to the back of a victim, about a year ago, read `go back to your state`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!