Security tightened to protect non-Manipuri labourers
Imphal: The Manipur government has tightened security measures to protect non-Manipuri migrant labourers following recent attacks on them by unidentified persons.
The latest attack on non-Manipuris occurred on June 27 in which two non-locals were killed and three others seriously injured here.
Officials said various mobile check posts have been set up at different places where there was a huge concentration of non-local migrant labourers. Routine patrolling of these areas has been also been intensified.
Police inspectors, posted in different parts of the state, have been called up and were being deployed at Imphal and other city areas.
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam, who also holds the home portfolio, had said recently that the government would not only intensify the security measures to protect the non-Manipuris but also try to find out the persons behind the attack on these people.
On May 04, unidentified persons had exploded a powerful grenade at a bakery factory at Chingmeirong area on the outskirts of Imphal in which five persons, all non-local migrant labourers, were seriously injured.
In the past two years, official sources said at least 15 non-local migrant labourers have been killed in different places in Manipur.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for these incidents. But a paper attached to the back of a victim, about a year ago, read `go back to your state`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?