Security tightened to protect non-Manipuri labourers
Imphal: The Manipur government has tightened security measures to protect non-Manipuri migrant labourers following recent attacks on them by unidentified persons.
The latest attack on non-Manipuris occurred on June 27 in which two non-locals were killed and three others seriously injured here.
Officials said various mobile check posts have been set up at different places where there was a huge concentration of non-local migrant labourers. Routine patrolling of these areas has been also been intensified.
Police inspectors, posted in different parts of the state, have been called up and were being deployed at Imphal and other city areas.
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam, who also holds the home portfolio, had said recently that the government would not only intensify the security measures to protect the non-Manipuris but also try to find out the persons behind the attack on these people.
On May 04, unidentified persons had exploded a powerful grenade at a bakery factory at Chingmeirong area on the outskirts of Imphal in which five persons, all non-local migrant labourers, were seriously injured.
In the past two years, official sources said at least 15 non-local migrant labourers have been killed in different places in Manipur.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for these incidents. But a paper attached to the back of a victim, about a year ago, read `go back to your state`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark