Security tightened to protect non-Manipuri labourers
Imphal: The Manipur government has tightened security measures to protect non-Manipuri migrant labourers following recent attacks on them by unidentified persons.
The latest attack on non-Manipuris occurred on June 27 in which two non-locals were killed and three others seriously injured here.
Officials said various mobile check posts have been set up at different places where there was a huge concentration of non-local migrant labourers. Routine patrolling of these areas has been also been intensified.
Police inspectors, posted in different parts of the state, have been called up and were being deployed at Imphal and other city areas.
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam, who also holds the home portfolio, had said recently that the government would not only intensify the security measures to protect the non-Manipuris but also try to find out the persons behind the attack on these people.
On May 04, unidentified persons had exploded a powerful grenade at a bakery factory at Chingmeirong area on the outskirts of Imphal in which five persons, all non-local migrant labourers, were seriously injured.
In the past two years, official sources said at least 15 non-local migrant labourers have been killed in different places in Manipur.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for these incidents. But a paper attached to the back of a victim, about a year ago, read `go back to your state`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'