Seven on hunger-strike in Meghalaya hospitalised
Shillong: Seven persons on an indefinite fast at Langpi, a disputed area between West Khasi Hills district in Meghalaya and Kamrup district in Assam, were hospitalised today after their health deteriorated.
Of the seven who began their fast on Saturday to demand that the Centre and the two states settle the problem, three were admitted at the Shillong Civil Hospital after they were referred by the district health centre at Nongstoin, hospital officials said.
The other four were admitted to the District Civil Hospital at Nongstoin.
According to doctors at the hospitals, the protesters were suffering from acute dehydration and low pulse count.
The fast is being led by 28-year-old youth P Nongshlong.
Home Minister H D R Lyngdoh left for Langpih along with senior government officials during the day to convince the protesters to call off the strike since the state government was pursuing the matter with the Centre and Assam.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma yesterday sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in finding a solution to the inter-state dispute with Assam.
Assam and Meghalaya have 12 disputed areas along their border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog