Seven on hunger-strike in Meghalaya hospitalised
Shillong: Seven persons on an indefinite fast at Langpi, a disputed area between West Khasi Hills district in Meghalaya and Kamrup district in Assam, were hospitalised today after their health deteriorated.
Of the seven who began their fast on Saturday to demand that the Centre and the two states settle the problem, three were admitted at the Shillong Civil Hospital after they were referred by the district health centre at Nongstoin, hospital officials said.
The other four were admitted to the District Civil Hospital at Nongstoin.
According to doctors at the hospitals, the protesters were suffering from acute dehydration and low pulse count.
The fast is being led by 28-year-old youth P Nongshlong.
Home Minister H D R Lyngdoh left for Langpih along with senior government officials during the day to convince the protesters to call off the strike since the state government was pursuing the matter with the Centre and Assam.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma yesterday sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in finding a solution to the inter-state dispute with Assam.
Assam and Meghalaya have 12 disputed areas along their border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!