Seven persons electrocuted in Meghalaya
Shillong: Seven persons, including five minors, were on Thursday electrocuted in a remote village in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district, officials said.
High tension current from a nearby 11 Kv pole leaked into the nearby water pipes connected to a house, district Deputy Commissioner Abhishek Bhagotia told.
He said heavy rain that lashed the area for the past three days have led to the leakage in power transmission which resulted in the electrocution of the victims.
According to the official, several other students who were staying on rent at the house in Lad Sutnga village managed to escape from the house.
Additional District Magistrate D Veronica Lyngdoh has been asked to probe the incident.
The Meghalaya Electric Corporation Ltd (MeECL) has shut off all power lines connected to the district, a power official said.
The district magistrate has convened a meeting with the MeECL officials this evening to work out appropriate compensation to the victims, Bhagotia said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department