Sharmila`s 11-year-old hunger strike, now in Ripley`s
Kolkata: The courageous tale of Irom Chanu Sharmila, the `Iron Lady of Manipur`, who has not eaten a morsel of food since the last eleven years has now been included in the collection of `Ripley`s Believe It or Not!`.
Under the banner of Just Peace Foundation (JPF), supporters of Sharmila had written to researchers at the US-based Ripley`s franchise requesting them to include her case in their list of unusual and unbelievable feats.
"They have replied saying they have featured her story," JPF`s Kshetrimayum Onil told PTI from Imphal.
Recognising her uncompromising stand and rock-like willpower, a graffiti along with Sharmila`s sketch and a brief note on her has been put up on the website of Ripley.
Demanding the repeal of the `draconian` Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), under which the security forces can even kill people without fearing prosecution, civil rights activist Sharmila is on an indefinite hunger strike since November 2000.
The 39-year-old is kept under house arrest at the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal, where she is forcibly nose-fed to keep her alive.
The recognition from Ripley`s has made Sharmila supporters happy, who believe that the campaign against AFSPA will now fetch additional support at the international level.=
"We hope that more people will listen to our demands now", said Irom Singhajit, Sharmila`s elder brother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday