Shillong Autumn Festival starts
Shillong: The three-day Shillong Autumn
Festival kicked off on Friday amid criticism from churches, NGOs
and political parties for the festival ending on Sunday.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma inaugurated the
festival which began with the glittering programme entitled,
"Shillong Street Carnival".
Eight cultural troupes of North Eastern states decked
up in their traditional clothes paraded through the streets of
Shillong amid beatings of drums, blowing of bugles and playing
Speaking after inaugurating the festival organised by
state tourism department, Sangma said, "The festival would
help project North East as a major tourist destination."
NGOs and churches opposed the closing ceremony on
Sunday which is considered a holy day by the majority
Christian population of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?