Shillong: Bail plea of GNLA chief turned down
Shillong: A local court in Meghalaya has turned down the bail plea of Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militant chief Champion Sangma.
The SDJM court yesterday ruled out granting bail to Sangma on the plea that he was likely to commit offence if freed on bail but permitted his counsel to meet him at the special cell where he was undergoing judicial custody at the Shillong district jail.
The court had on last Saturday reserved its order.
"We have received an order in relation to the two submissions made by me last week to the Court -- one has been granted and the other was refused," Sangma?s defense counsel said.
Dey said the bail application has been refused by the court in view of the serious nature of the chargesheet against Sangma.
He also said the court has directed the jail authorities to allow Sangma?s defense counsel to meet him inside the jail premises during office hours preferably from 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM.
The militant chief was also entitled to meet an advocate of his choice during interrogation (though not throughout interrogation) as per provision of Section 41(D) of CrPC, Dey said.
The former Deputy Superintendent of Police turned-rogue was arrested on July 30 at the international border, hours after he was pushed back by the Bangladesh authorities.
Police has filed ten cases against the arrested Garo militant chief.
The GNLA has been considered an outlawed organisation by the Centre and has been known to have forged an operational alliance with the ULFA and the NDFB, which provided it access to sophisticated arms and ammunition, enabling the outfit to unleash a reign of terror in Garo Hills region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre