Shillong: Bail plea of GNLA chief turned down
Shillong: A local court in Meghalaya has turned down the bail plea of Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militant chief Champion Sangma.
The SDJM court yesterday ruled out granting bail to Sangma on the plea that he was likely to commit offence if freed on bail but permitted his counsel to meet him at the special cell where he was undergoing judicial custody at the Shillong district jail.
The court had on last Saturday reserved its order.
"We have received an order in relation to the two submissions made by me last week to the Court -- one has been granted and the other was refused," Sangma?s defense counsel said.
Dey said the bail application has been refused by the court in view of the serious nature of the chargesheet against Sangma.
He also said the court has directed the jail authorities to allow Sangma?s defense counsel to meet him inside the jail premises during office hours preferably from 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM.
The militant chief was also entitled to meet an advocate of his choice during interrogation (though not throughout interrogation) as per provision of Section 41(D) of CrPC, Dey said.
The former Deputy Superintendent of Police turned-rogue was arrested on July 30 at the international border, hours after he was pushed back by the Bangladesh authorities.
Police has filed ten cases against the arrested Garo militant chief.
The GNLA has been considered an outlawed organisation by the Centre and has been known to have forged an operational alliance with the ULFA and the NDFB, which provided it access to sophisticated arms and ammunition, enabling the outfit to unleash a reign of terror in Garo Hills region.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed