Sikkim CM announces incentives for students
Gangtok: Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling on Wednesday announced that students topping standard X and XII examinations in any stream would be awarded Rs 1.75 lakh and Rs 50,000 respectively henceforth.
The highest scoring student would also be entitled to the chief minister’s merit scholarship scheme under which he would have opportunity to study in the top ten best universities and colleges in the world, Chamling said at the Paljor stadium on in his Independence day speech.
If the student was selected in admission tests then the state government would bear the entire expense of their study anywhere.
For sports enthusiasts, Chamling announced cash incentives of Rs 2 crore, Rs 1 crore and Rs 50 lakh for winning gold, silver or bronze medals in any Olympics.
The state government would also honour the sports person with a gazette post, he said, adding that more sports academies for boxing, football and archery would be established in the state.
As part of social security measures, Chamling announced that a pension would be given to any unmarried woman above the age of 45 years henceforth.
He announced that the development of backward and remote villages for a totally developed state would be initiated soon. A total of 82 remote villages in all the four districts would be developed under the programme.
He also spoke about the September 11 earthquake and the damage it had done to the state and said that the state government would construct 7972 houses at a cost of 4 lakh each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed