Sikkim cut-off by landslides
Gangtok: The ongoing monsoons have once again started to take its toll along NH-31A, with various places along the West Bengal-Sikkim highway being blocked
because of landslides, police said.
After closing down the highway for over 12 hours at Rambi in the West Bengal side on June 17, the rains have once again disrupted traffic along the highway since Tuesday.
"The highway is blocked at a place around 200 meters from Teesta Bridge towards Siliguri. The spot which is near the Shiv Mandir at the infamous Likhey Bhir is informed to have lost a section of the road due to heavy rains," Janmukti Chalak Mahasangh`s (JCM) president Milan Pradhan said.
The section of the road broke down at around mid-night Tuesday after which traffic came to a standstill with vehicles on either side returning back to their destinations or taking alternative routes via Darjeeling, Kurseong or Mirik, police said.
Drivers are also taking the route via Kalimpong-Lava-Gurubathan and Damdim and entering Siliguri through the Coronation Bridge from West Bengal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!