Sikkim cut-off by landslides
Gangtok: The ongoing monsoons have once
again started to take its toll along NH-31A, with various
places along the West Bengal-Sikkim highway being blocked
because of landslides, police said.
After closing down the highway for over 12 hours at
Rambi in the West Bengal side on June 17, the rains have once
again disrupted traffic along the highway since on Tuesday.
"The highway is blocked at a place around 200 meters
from Teesta Bridge towards Siliguri. The spot which is near
the Shiv Mandir at the infamous Likhey Bhir is informed to
have lost a section of the road due to heavy rains," Janmukti
Chalak Mahasangh`s (JCM) president Milan Pradhan said.
The section of the road broke down at around mid-night
yesterday after which traffic came to a standstill with
vehicles on either side returning back to their destinations
or taking alternative routes via Darjeeling, Kurseong or
Mirik, police said.
Drivers are also taking the route via
Kalimpong-Lava-Gurubathan and Damdim and entering Siliguri
through the Coronation Bridge from West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars