Sikkim gets PM`s award for excellence in Public Administration
New Delhi: Sikkim was on Sunday given Prime Minister`s Award for excellence in Public Administration for extraordinary and innovate work done for rural development.
The country`s highest award for excellence in public administration was presented by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Sikkim`s Secretary for Rural Development and Management D R Nepal at a function held here on civil services day.
"Sikkim is the only state in the North-east to get this highest award for excellence in public administration for the year 2011-12," an official release said.
The state has been conferred with the national level prestigious award for its initiative "Excellence in Rural Management and Development in challenging physical environment of the Sikkim Himalaya" and for achieving visible contribution made in improving the quality of life of the rural people in the state.
Sikkim is the first and only "Nirmal Rajya" in the country to achieve hundred per cent success under Total Sanitation Programme in 2008.
At least 87.2 percent of the household have access to toilets within their homes (2011 census) as compared to 36.3 percent in the year 2001.
In Sikkim, poverty has reduced from 30.9 percent (2004-05) to 13.1 percent (2009-10) which is significantly lower than national average of 29.8 percent in 2009-10.
The 17.8 percent rate of poverty reduction in Sikkim is second best in the country.
A significant BPL population of 90,000 persons have been brought above poverty line during these years in the state and the rate of poverty reduction is 3.6 percent which is double than national average of 1.5 percent.
The accessibility to tap water has been increased from 70.3 percent in 2001 to 85.3 percent in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview