Sikkim govt decides to scrap four hydel projects
Gangtok: Sikkim government has decided to scrap four hydel projects on tributaries of the Teesta in North Sikkim.
The hydel projects scrapped were the 99-MW Bop hydro- electric project (HEP), 99-MW Bhimkyong HEP and the 99-MW Lachung HEP on the Lachung Chu and the 280-MW Teesta Stage-I HEP at Lachen.
The decision was officially endorsed by the cabinet at its May 10 sitting, Secretary of Power and Energy Department AK Giri confirmed today.
The four projects have been consistently opposed by the people of Lachen and Lachung especially after the September 18 earthquake.
They have not allowed project survey and investigation in the area as a result of which even the Detailed Project Reports have not been prepared yet.
The state government had signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the Teesta Stage-I with Polyplex Corporation India Private Limited in 2005 and with Himalayan Green Energy Pvt Ltd (which is also co-developer of Polyplex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants