Sikkim govt decides to scrap four hydel projects
Gangtok: Sikkim government has decided to scrap four hydel projects on tributaries of the Teesta in North Sikkim.
The hydel projects scrapped were the 99-MW Bop hydro- electric project (HEP), 99-MW Bhimkyong HEP and the 99-MW Lachung HEP on the Lachung Chu and the 280-MW Teesta Stage-I HEP at Lachen.
The decision was officially endorsed by the cabinet at its May 10 sitting, Secretary of Power and Energy Department AK Giri confirmed today.
The four projects have been consistently opposed by the people of Lachen and Lachung especially after the September 18 earthquake.
They have not allowed project survey and investigation in the area as a result of which even the Detailed Project Reports have not been prepared yet.
The state government had signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the Teesta Stage-I with Polyplex Corporation India Private Limited in 2005 and with Himalayan Green Energy Pvt Ltd (which is also co-developer of Polyplex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore