Sikkim govt decides to scrap four hydel projects
Gangtok: Sikkim government has decided to scrap four hydel projects on tributaries of the Teesta in North Sikkim.
The hydel projects scrapped were the 99-MW Bop hydro- electric project (HEP), 99-MW Bhimkyong HEP and the 99-MW Lachung HEP on the Lachung Chu and the 280-MW Teesta Stage-I HEP at Lachen.
The decision was officially endorsed by the cabinet at its May 10 sitting, Secretary of Power and Energy Department AK Giri confirmed today.
The four projects have been consistently opposed by the people of Lachen and Lachung especially after the September 18 earthquake.
They have not allowed project survey and investigation in the area as a result of which even the Detailed Project Reports have not been prepared yet.
The state government had signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the Teesta Stage-I with Polyplex Corporation India Private Limited in 2005 and with Himalayan Green Energy Pvt Ltd (which is also co-developer of Polyplex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat