Sikkim quake: 10,000 food packets air-dropped
New Delhi: Over 10,000 food packets were
air-dropped in the quake-hit areas of north Sikkim as two major
roads connecting the region remained blocked due to landslides
after Sunday’s powerful temblor.
Home Ministry officials on Friday said 10,000 food packets
have been air-dropped so far in the northern part of North
District while another 5000 food packets are ready for being
sent to Chungthan, Lachung and Lachen.
"15 helicopters of Army and Air Force have been pressed
into relief work. For airdropping and reconnaissance, 150
sorties have been carried out so far," an official said.
While nine vital roads, including National Highway 31A
and National Highway 55, have been reopened for traffic, two
roads Chungthang Lachen and Chungthan Lachung continued to
remain blocked due to landslide.
The number of deaths as reported by Sikkim government is
The break-up of death toll is - East District-13, North
District-57, West District-4 and one in South District-1.
32 persons have been hospitalized.
Five teams of NDRF have been deployed for search and
rescue operations at Shipgyar, Biha and Bringbang Ramam,
Lingzya and Dzongu villages in Mangan.
Two teams of NDRF comprising 14 personnel and 16
personnel each are deployed at Chungthan and Lachung
Altogether 827 ITBP personnel are engaged in rescue
operations and have also been running relief camps where
rescued villagers have been given shelter.
Officials said the state government has opened 11
2700 and 550 people have been provided shelter into Army
camps and ITBP camp (Pengong) respectively. 940 civilians have
been treated at Military hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends