Sikkim quake: State limps back to normalcy
Tung: A week after the 6.8
magnitude temblor ravaged its North district, Sikkim is
limping back to normalcy with most of the connecting roads in
the remote areas restored even as rains impeded rescue and
State HRD minister NK Pradhan said that life is
gradually returning to normal though rescue and relief
operations are continuing in far-flung areas.
Pradhan said so far 1,489 houses have been found to be
destroyed in the quake in worst-affected North district and
the state government would provide all assistance for
reconstruction of schools and houses.
"23 schools, mostly in North Sikkim, have been completely
destroyed, while 190 schools have been partially damaged," he
said, adding that steps would be taken to rebuild them.
Meanwhile, the 95 km-long Singtam-Chungthang has been
cleared of landslides up to 86 kms, facilitating rescuers to
the more remote areas hit by the quake.
Army sources said a 6-km-stretch was cleared on the
Chungthang side. "If the rest of the stretch is cleared of
debris, the entire road from Singtam will be ready for normal
The two roads from Chungthang -- one to Lachen and
another to Lachung -- were also being gradually cleared of
"So roads in affected areas closer to quake epicentre in
North district are nearly cleared of debris by GREF (General
Reserve Engineering Force) of the Army," he added.
Chief Minister Pawan Chamling toured affected areas of
Mangan and visited patients in the hospital yesterday. He also
assured them of government assistance.
Officials said 52 new relief camps have been started in
different areas of Mangan, Naga, Limbu, Mangsila, Dikchu and
Makha in North district and have provided shelter to about
2,000 people who trekked down here since yesterday from remote
areas of Chungthang, Lachen and Lachung.
The camps, being run by NGOs, social organisations and
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), are also providing
food, drinking water and medicine to people.
Meanwhile, a central team of the Health ministry arrived
here during the day and visited the relief camps.
A member said the team`s main purpose is to prevent
outbreak of water-borne diseases like dysentery and diarrhoea.
Official sources said fresh land slips occurred in some
areas of North district last night which was lashed by
However, no fresh damage was reported as yet due to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow