SIT to investigate STF firing on students
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh government has asked special investigation team (SIT) of the state police to investigate the STF firing on students at Roing in Lower
Dibang Valley district, official sources said on Saturday.
The investigations were handed over to SIT yesterday
following recommendations of the inquiry committee set up
after the incident on October 5 last year.
The recommendations were placed before Chief Minister
Nabam Tuki in December end. The committee had earlier
submitted a 205-page report to the government after inquiring
into the causes and circumstances of the incident, the sources
Ten persons, including nine students of whom one was a
girl were injured when Special Task Force (STF) personnel
opened fire on a group of students on October 5 following an
A group of students were allegedly chased and fired upon
by the police on the streets of Roing bazar. The firing had
allegedly lasted for almost ten minutes.
The incident had evoked strong protest with many
organisations demanding an inquiry and actuion against the
The sources said committee recommended that the SIT
investigation would be headed by a police officer not below
the rank of a deputy superintendent of police, immediate steps
for training Arunachal Pradesh Civil Services (APCS) officers
in effectively dealing with law and order situation, riots,
crowd control and communal tension, besides directing the
district administration to improve communications with the
public to remove all misunderstandings.
The chief minister has given his nod to all the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre