Situation along Assam-Nagaland peaceful: Chief Secretary
Guwahati: The situation was on Saturday peaceful along the Assam-Nagaland border in Golaghat district, where eleven people have died so far, but nearly ten thousand people have fled their homes to take shelter in relief camps.
Briefing reporters, Assam Chief Secretary Jitesh Khosla said that the Nagaland government ``is cooperating with us though certain underground elements were fomenting trouble in the border areas``.
Meanwhile, normal life was affected in the border areas following the rail and road blockades called by different organisations to protest against the killing by miscreants from neighbouring Nagaland though no fresh incidents of violence were reported so far, police said.
Khosla said that according to an agreement signed in 1979 between the two neighbouring states, the CRPF was assigned to maintain law and order in the area and since the outbreak of fresh violence on August 13, the strength of the paramilitary force has been increased.
``Assam government has deputed magistrates from Golaghat to monitor the situation and to ensure that the situation remained under control``, he added.
The situation in the affected areas was ``currently peaceful though nearly ten thousand people have fled their homes and taken shelter in relief camps set by the district administration``.
The district administration has been directed to make necessary arrangements for those taking shelter in relief camps and take measures to ensure that they are able to return to their homes at the earliest, Khosla added.
Nine bodies were recovered from disturbed Uriamghat area yesterday while two others were killed earlier by miscreants from across the border with the Golaghat district administration imposing night curfew from 6 pm to 6 am along the border villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey