Situation along Assam-Nagaland peaceful: Chief Secretary
Guwahati: The situation was on Saturday peaceful along the Assam-Nagaland border in Golaghat district, where eleven people have died so far, but nearly ten thousand people have fled their homes to take shelter in relief camps.
Briefing reporters, Assam Chief Secretary Jitesh Khosla said that the Nagaland government ``is cooperating with us though certain underground elements were fomenting trouble in the border areas``.
Meanwhile, normal life was affected in the border areas following the rail and road blockades called by different organisations to protest against the killing by miscreants from neighbouring Nagaland though no fresh incidents of violence were reported so far, police said.
Khosla said that according to an agreement signed in 1979 between the two neighbouring states, the CRPF was assigned to maintain law and order in the area and since the outbreak of fresh violence on August 13, the strength of the paramilitary force has been increased.
``Assam government has deputed magistrates from Golaghat to monitor the situation and to ensure that the situation remained under control``, he added.
The situation in the affected areas was ``currently peaceful though nearly ten thousand people have fled their homes and taken shelter in relief camps set by the district administration``.
The district administration has been directed to make necessary arrangements for those taking shelter in relief camps and take measures to ensure that they are able to return to their homes at the earliest, Khosla added.
Nine bodies were recovered from disturbed Uriamghat area yesterday while two others were killed earlier by miscreants from across the border with the Golaghat district administration imposing night curfew from 6 pm to 6 am along the border villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming