Situation in Meghalaya`s Garo Hills inching to normalcy
Shillong: An uneasy calm prevailed in Meghalaya`s Garo Hills region on Wednesday, two days after eight migrant labourers were killed in a remote mining village in South Garo Hills district which prompted their exodus.
Sunday`s incident followed last week`s killing of a migrant labourer who was caught by a mob molesting a mentally unstable girl in West Garo Hills Tura town.
"The situation has begun to move back to normalcy but district magistrates and police were kept on high alert," South Garo Hills district deputy commissioner C P Gotmare told PTI.
While all the deceased victims have been compensated by the respective district administration with Rs 3 lakh, he said over 3000 migrant labourers were evacuated to safety under police protection.
Following the two incidents, over 10,000 migrant labourers from neighbouring Assam have fled to their places of origin for safety.
An additional company of BSF was deployed in the plain belts of West Garo Hills, district deputy commissioner P Bakshi said adding that night curfew is still on.
Inspector General of Police (Western Range) H Nongpluh said the situation along the inter-state border with Assam is limping back to normalcy but security forces are on high alert for any breakdown of law and order.
Peace meetings with locality elders, church leaders and nomination heads were also directed to be held to get assurance and support in maintaining peace, Bakshi said.
Meanwhile, the Centre has also acceded to the state`s demand for additional counter insurgency deployment of ten companies of para military forces in militant-hit five Garo Hills districts, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video