Situation returning to normal at Namsai
Itanagar: The situation at Namsai in Lohit
district, scene of arson and clashes between locals and
non-Arunachalees, is returning to normal today after Chief
Minister Dorjee Khandu and Home Minister Tako Dabi visited the
town on Monday.
Official sources said no untoward incident was reported
from anywhere in the district and the shoot at sight order
along with other prohibitory orders were still in force.
The sub-divisional town witnessed mob violence since
Saturday with non-Arunachalees demanding restoration of
permanent residential certificates (PRC), which was revoked by
the state government, and the locals resisting it.
Khandu during his visit yesterday ordered a magisterial
inquiry into the violence and deployment of additional forces
to bring the situation under total control.
Meanwhile, Lohit-Changlang Development Forum (LCDF), a
body of Assamese settlers, has decided to suspend its
agitational programmes following assurances given by Khandu.
“The CM assured the aggrieved people during his visit to
the area that his government will take the final decision on
the demand for PRC issuance within one month and appealed to
us to abstain from resorting to any sort of agitation and to
maintain tranquility in Namsai and Mahadevpur areas during the
period,” LCDF president Subin Tayeng claimed.
“Accordingly, respecting the CM’s call we have decided to
postpone all our proposed agitations, including the 24-hour
Lohit-Changlang bandh on October 29 and the economic blockade,
which was scheduled from November 1,” he said.
The Forum, however, threatened to resume the stir if the
government failed to meet its demand for PRC within one month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray