Six convicts escape from jail, four re-arrested
Gangtok: Six prisoners serving life
sentence in murder cases escaped from the state prison here
but four of them were rearrested, the police said on Thursday.
They scaled a 20-feet wall using a make-shift ladder
to escape from the jail at Rongyek here yesterday.
The police have re-arrested four of the six since last
night but two -- Nepalese national Rudra Thapa and Prasanta
Sarkar of West Bengal -- were still on the run.
The other four were Yogesh Karki, Shekhar Roy, Laxuman
Maley and Puran Rai. This is the second escape for Puran Rai
who had fled in 2004 too, the sources said.
The six, who were engaged in vocational work, escaped
to the play ground during afternoon tea break scaling an wall
in the unguarded passage between the workshop and the kitchen
during tea break in the afternoon.
In the playground, with the help of goalposts and some
other objects and tools procured from workshop, they made a
ladder and escaped scaling the wall, the sources said.
Additional Superintendent of Police (Jail) Sonam
Bhutia said two platoons of Sikkim Armed Police and one
platoon of the Home Guard personnel have been deployed to
arrest the other two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre