Six loaded trucks set afire in Manipur
Imphal: Six loaded trucks were set afire by
suspected supporters of the ongoing economic blockade at
Oinamlong area in Manipur`s Tamenglong district, official
reports said here on Saturday.
Reports said the vehicles which were coming from the border
town of Jiribam, about 222 Kms west of here, were set ablaze
by suspected supporters of the economic blockade at Oinamlong,
about 150 Kms west of here yesterday.
While Sadar Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) has
launched economic blockades on Manipur portions of
Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar (NH 53) since August 1 last to press
demand for conversion of Kuki-majority Sadar Hills area in
Naga-majority Senapati district, United Naga Council
(UNC) opposing the demand launched economic blockades on NH 53
and Manipur section of NH 39 linking Numaligar in Assam to the
Indo-Myanmar border from middle of August.
Official sources said the state government had issued
orders to arrest leaders of the SHDDC some days ago for
launching the economic blockades but so far no arrest was
Reports from the markets said prices of essential
commodities have shot up due to scarcity of essential items
due to economic blockades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord