Six more Bangladeshis arrested in Manipur
Imphal: Six more Bangladeshi nationals were arrested during massive combing opertions in different parts of the Manipur capital complex today by police forces.
Official sources said with this, the number of arrested Bangladeshi nationals for entering Manipur illegally and without valid documents has gone upto 49 in the past 24 hours.
Some of the arrested were women and children, they said.
Massive combing operations were this morning launched at eight places - Awang oil company area, Kangjabi, Khuyathong, Nagamapal, Uripok, Sagolband, Waheng Leikai and keisampat - all in the heart of Imphal town after movement of ultras was detected and following reports of infiltration of illegal migrants.
During search operations, carried out under the direct supervision of the inspector general of police (law and order), L Kailun, police personnel rounded up 462 persons of whom 57 were taken into police custody.
The others (mostly Muslims) who had entered Manipur in the past few days from West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Orissa were freed after verfication, sources said.
Of the 57, six were confirmed as Bangladeshi nationals who entered the state illegally and without any valid documents.
The identities of the remaining 51, now in Imphal police station, were being checked.
In a similar exercise yesterdy, 43 Bangladeshi nationals (without valid documents) were arrested at Lilong in Thoubal district and Hatta Golapati in Imphal East district.
Most of the arrested Bangladeshi nationals had told
police interrogators that they had come to Manipur to earn their livelihood, source said adding they used to earn only about Rs. 2 or Rs. 3 per day at the homeland.
Sources said some of the illegal migrants who have entered the state and were settled at Muslim-dominated Lilong, Hatta and other areas over the years have got married to Manipuri Muslim women and have children.
Sources said attention of the top authorities of the state government had been drawn to the arrests of several illegal migrants and action taken against them as per provisions of the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!