Six vehicles torched in blockade against uranium project
Shillong: At least six vehicles were torched
and five suspected student activists arrested as stray
incidents of violence marred the first of the two-day night
road blockade called by Khasi Students Union (KSU) to protest
the proposed uranium mining project in Meghalaya.
Unidentified assailants burnt two vehicles near Mairang
in West Khasi Hills district and one each in Ri Bhoi, Jaintia
Hills and East Khasi Hills districts since last night.
Acting DGP B Kezo told reporters that five youths were
detained in connection with the incidents.
Regular traffic on the highways was hit during the
blockade. Reports from Ri Bhoi, West Khasi Hills and East
Khasi Hills districts said the traffic along the highways
thinned after 7 pm last evening. The response was mixed in
Jaintia Hills district.
Few vehicles, especially trucks, that plied on NH 40 and
44 were provided with police escort, officials said.
Additional security personnel, including paramilitary
troops, were deployed in the state to prevent any further
untoward incidents during the blockade hours that resume from
9 pm tonight, he said.
The KSU had decided to intensify its agitation by
enforcing the blockade from 9 pm to 5 am on October 14 and 15
to protest the government`s decision to lease land to Uranium
Corporation of India Limited (UCIL).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis