SMSes, social network websites to be under EC scan
Shillong: Election campaign for the February 23 Assembly polls in Meghalaya through SMSes or through social networking websites will be under the scanner of the Election Commission.
"The social network could be used for `pay and promote posts` by aspiring candidates and such posts would be considered as advertisements and included in the election expenditure of the concerned candidate," Padma Angmo, deputy secretary in the media guideline cell of EC, said.
SMS campaigns will also be considered as expenditure, she said.
Besides, any report in newspapers on malpractice regarding use of money to influence voters would be deemed as "formal complaint" by the EC and action would be taken.
Director General of EC, in-charge of election expenditure, P K Dash said the issue of money power, which was vitiating the election atmosphere in the country, was a major issue of concern for the EC and asked the media to stay clear of paid news.
Meanwhile, Speaker Charles Pyngrope, parliamentary secretary P Khongjee and autonomous council member Lambor Malngiang filed their nomination papers on the second day today along with seven independent candidates from various constituencies in the state.
Till date, 22 candidates have filed their nomination papers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ileana D'Cruz raises the mercury by donning a scorching monokini! – Pic inside
- One worker killed in explosion at pharma unit in Visakhapatnam
- Kapil Sharma meets fan battling cancer - The comedian's gesture will win your heart
- Rio Games: Russia faces ban from Olympic weightlifting over doping offences
- Tata patriarch's aviation ambitions a step closer as India opens up