Solution to NE insurgency possible through negotiations
Guwahati: A peaceful solution to insurgency in the Northeast could be possible through negotiations and a spirit of sacrifice, Gnanpith awardee Dr Indira Roisam Goswami said on Friday.
Pointing to MNF leaders in Mizoram, she said after 20 years of violence they had realised that peaceful solutions to problems could be found through negotiations.
"There has to be sincerity of purpose and clear channels of communication between the parties involved with a spirit of sacrifice in the interest of peace," Goswami who had
arbitrated between the ULFA and the government for peace talks, said.
Commending the sacrifice by the then Mizoram chief minister Lalthanhawla, Goswami said, "Mizoram has given us hope. An elected chief minister stepped down from office and this greatly facilitated the peace accord there."
Inaugurating the Asian International Literary Festival here, she said,"Insurgency has damaged the socio-political roots of the North East Region. Still poets write with hope."
She said, "Northeast writers have made significant contributions to literature by writing about insurgency related issues."
The Asian International Literary Festival was held here for the first time hosting authors, playwrights and poets from Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal, Bangladesh, Thailand and Bhutan, besides India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Hafiz Saeed leaves Pakistan fuming, claims protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT
- I have aged not Michelle: Obama
- Look what Sidharth Malhotra has to say about PM Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee’s ‘Kala Chashma’
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover