Solution to NE insurgency possible through negotiations
Guwahati: A peaceful solution to insurgency in the Northeast could be possible through negotiations and a spirit of sacrifice, Gnanpith awardee Dr Indira Roisam Goswami said on Friday.
Pointing to MNF leaders in Mizoram, she said after 20 years of violence they had realised that peaceful solutions to problems could be found through negotiations.
"There has to be sincerity of purpose and clear channels of communication between the parties involved with a spirit of sacrifice in the interest of peace," Goswami who had
arbitrated between the ULFA and the government for peace talks, said.
Commending the sacrifice by the then Mizoram chief minister Lalthanhawla, Goswami said, "Mizoram has given us hope. An elected chief minister stepped down from office and this greatly facilitated the peace accord there."
Inaugurating the Asian International Literary Festival here, she said,"Insurgency has damaged the socio-political roots of the North East Region. Still poets write with hope."
She said, "Northeast writers have made significant contributions to literature by writing about insurgency related issues."
The Asian International Literary Festival was held here for the first time hosting authors, playwrights and poets from Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal, Bangladesh, Thailand and Bhutan, besides India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees