Solution to NE insurgency possible through negotiations
Guwahati: A peaceful solution to insurgency in the Northeast could be possible through negotiations and a spirit of sacrifice, Gnanpith awardee Dr Indira Roisam Goswami said on Friday.
Pointing to MNF leaders in Mizoram, she said after 20 years of violence they had realised that peaceful solutions to problems could be found through negotiations.
"There has to be sincerity of purpose and clear channels of communication between the parties involved with a spirit of sacrifice in the interest of peace," Goswami who had
arbitrated between the ULFA and the government for peace talks, said.
Commending the sacrifice by the then Mizoram chief minister Lalthanhawla, Goswami said, "Mizoram has given us hope. An elected chief minister stepped down from office and this greatly facilitated the peace accord there."
Inaugurating the Asian International Literary Festival here, she said,"Insurgency has damaged the socio-political roots of the North East Region. Still poets write with hope."
She said, "Northeast writers have made significant contributions to literature by writing about insurgency related issues."
The Asian International Literary Festival was held here for the first time hosting authors, playwrights and poets from Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal, Bangladesh, Thailand and Bhutan, besides India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant