Solve border dispute with Assam: Meghalaya to Centre
Shillong: The Meghalaya government Thursday said that the Centre should take a call on settling the
pending inter-state border dispute between Meghalaya and
"Both governments have had their resolutions on the
vexed border dispute, the Centre should take a final call to
settle the issue once and for all," chief secretary WMS
Pariat told reporters.
The Meghalaya Assembly had unanimously resolved in
March 16 last year urging the Centre to initiate a border
commission to solve the issue while the House in Assam voted
out the need of having a border commission on December 19.
Pariat said he had received yet another request from
his counterpart in Assam seeking more clarification on the
technical aspects related to the maps of disputed areas handed
over to Dispur last year.
Meghalaya seeks to get back 12 areas of differences
which the state had been claiming based on oral tradition and
history of a particular area of settlement, ethnic
composition, language and medium of communication besides
historical records of agreement.
It was the May 14, 2010-Langpih firing incident that
claimed four lives which prompted the first chief
ministerial-level meeting that discussed the border dispute on
June 5, 2010 in Dispur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter