Special drive to include Brus in voters list
Aizawl: A special drive to include eligible voters in the Bru relief camps in North Tripura district began from Friday, election officials said.
The instruction to conduct the special drive among the Brus lodged in the six relief camps was received from the Election Commission of India and nine officials from the Mizoram-Tripura border district Mamit were sent to the camps yesterday, they said.
"The election department has been entertaining claims for inclusion of those who applied to be enlisted in the state voters lists," the officials said.
Officials from the south Mizoram`s Lunglei district and the Mizoram-Assam border Kolasib also were instructed to conduct the special drive in the relief camps from October 24, the officials said.
At present there were 11,311 Bru voters from the relief camps being enlisted in the Mizoram electoral rolls belonging to nine assembly constituencies and covering three districts - Mamit, Lunglei and Kolasib.
The Commission has decided that people in the relief camps would cast their votes through postal ballots and the polling would be conducted by the election officials from Mizoram.
Mizoram Assembly polls are scheduled to be held on December four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog