SSA teachers take to streets in Meghalaya
Shillong: Thousands of aggrieved Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) teachers in the state today took to the streets demanding speedy release of their five-month pending salaries and enhancement of the same.
The agitating teachers also threatened to close-down all schools if the government failed to comply with the demands, put forth, within March 30.
The protest which started with a silent march culminated at a public meeting here.
We strongly demand from the government to release the pending salaries of the teachers within this coming Saturday (March 30)," Meghalaya SSA School Association (MSSASA) president, H M Marbaniang told reporters here after the meeting.
The agitating teacher has also threatened to close-down all the SSA schools set up in the entire state if their dues are not cleared within the stipulated time frame.
Over 4000 teachers are currently employed in more than 10,00 SSA schools established in 11 districts of the state.
These teachers have also been demanding hike in their salaries from Rs 6000 to Rs 12,000 besides seeking regularizing of their posts as is being done in Arunachal Pradesh and other states.
The MSSASA delegation has also sought the intervention of Deputy Chief Minister, in charge of Education, R C Laloo to pressurize the Centre to look into the grievances faced by the teaching community and to consider their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez