ST, SC demand repeal of AFSPA from Tripura
Agartala: Schedule Caste Schedule tribe Other Backward Communities Development Council (SCSTOBCDC), an independent organization on Monday demanded repeal of Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) from Tripura.
The members of the organization which organized a sit-in before the Swami Vivekananda stadium here shouted slogans demanding repeal of the act which gives ample power to the paramilitary forces and army to arrest any person in the name of combating insurgency.
The organization also spread leaflets which said, the act is draconian which infringed the right to common people.
This act is invoked in the state when the insurgency was in its peak in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed