Stalemate in Assam assembly ends
Guwahati: The three-day old stalemate in the
Assam assembly ended on Thursday with the opposition, AIUDF, AGP and
BJP deciding to end their boycott after a meeting with Speaker
Leader of Opposition and All India United Democratic
Front MLA Sirajuddin Ajmal, Asom Gana Parishad MLA Keshab
Mahanta and Bharatiya Janata Party legislature party leader
Prashanta Phukan met Gogoi at his chamber in the assembly.
The meeting was also attended by Enviroment and Forest
Minister Rockybul Hussain and Legislative Affairs Minister
Nilamoni Sen Deka.
Coming out of the meeting, the opposition leaders said
they will participate in the assembly proceedings tomorrow,
the last day of the month-long Budget session.
"All misunderstandings have been cleared and we have
decided to attend the assembly tomorrow. We are satisfied with
the clarification given by the Speaker," Ajmal said.
Earlier, opposition benches of the assembly remained
vacant for the third consecutive day today as AIUDF, AGP and
BJP members continued their boycott in protest against alleged
`unparliamentary remarks` of the Speaker.
MLAs of AIDUF, AGP and BJP covered their mouths with
black cloth and held a protest in the assembly premises for an
hour this morning demanding withdrawal of the remark by Gogoi.
The Opposition has been boycotting the assembly since
March 27 when Gogoi allegedly told AIUDF members not to `caw
like crows` when they stormed into the well of the house after
being dissatisfied with a minister`s reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city