State govt to set up new cancer hospital in Meghalaya
London: Meghalaya government plans to set up a new cancer hospital in the state to facilitate early detection and treatment of the disease, chief minister Mukul Sangma said here.
"We are coming up with a new Cancer hospital in the state," Sangma, who is on a four-day visit to the UK told reporters.
He said in cooperation with the `Roko Cancer` campaign, the state government has initiated several programmes for early detection and screening of cancer among women.
"There has always been inhibition among women when they are confronted with this dreaded disease. But when cancer is detected invariably it is too late and the scope to reduce mortality is less," he said.
Britain`s Minister for International Development and Equalities for Women, Baroness Sandip Verma hosted a reception in honour of Sangma in the House of Lords yesterday.
Sangma said a series of awareness camps were being organised in rural areas, and after detection of the disease steps were being taken for cure.
The government also has plans to send physicians from the state for training and higher research in the field either in Delhi or Chennai, he said.
"We don`t have enough doctors and qualified nurses," he added.
Sangma, who is leading a six-member delegation, including MLAs from the state, said it was his endeavour to provide training to youths in fields of medicine, paramedicine and
Sangma is also keen on promoting Meghalaya as a tourist destination and include Meghalaya in the Incredible India campaign.
"We want to promote Meghalaya as a focal point of eco rural tourism," he said.
Before returning, Sangma will visit Netherlands and have interaction with horticulture, floriculture experts and try to get best technological transfer in the field to the state. He
is also keen on attracting the younger generation to farming sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown