State govt to set up new cancer hospital in Meghalaya
London: Meghalaya government plans to set up a new cancer hospital in the state to facilitate early detection and treatment of the disease, chief minister Mukul Sangma said here.
"We are coming up with a new Cancer hospital in the state," Sangma, who is on a four-day visit to the UK told reporters.
He said in cooperation with the `Roko Cancer` campaign, the state government has initiated several programmes for early detection and screening of cancer among women.
"There has always been inhibition among women when they are confronted with this dreaded disease. But when cancer is detected invariably it is too late and the scope to reduce mortality is less," he said.
Britain`s Minister for International Development and Equalities for Women, Baroness Sandip Verma hosted a reception in honour of Sangma in the House of Lords yesterday.
Sangma said a series of awareness camps were being organised in rural areas, and after detection of the disease steps were being taken for cure.
The government also has plans to send physicians from the state for training and higher research in the field either in Delhi or Chennai, he said.
"We don`t have enough doctors and qualified nurses," he added.
Sangma, who is leading a six-member delegation, including MLAs from the state, said it was his endeavour to provide training to youths in fields of medicine, paramedicine and
Sangma is also keen on promoting Meghalaya as a tourist destination and include Meghalaya in the Incredible India campaign.
"We want to promote Meghalaya as a focal point of eco rural tourism," he said.
Before returning, Sangma will visit Netherlands and have interaction with horticulture, floriculture experts and try to get best technological transfer in the field to the state. He
is also keen on attracting the younger generation to farming sector.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'