Steps to check illegal migration to Mizoram: Sonia Gandhi
Aizawl: Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday said the central government was aware of illegal migration into Mizoram and would take steps to tackle the problem.
"Suitable steps would be taken to deal with the problems of illegitimate immigration of foreigners from across the international borders," Gandhi said while addressing an election rally at Lunglei town, 190 km south of Aizawl.
She said: "Efforts would be made to solve border issues with neighbouring countries and other northeastern states."
Mizoram has an unfenced international border of 404 km with Myanmar and 318 km with Bangladesh. The northeastern mountainous state has an inter-state border of 123 km with Assam, 66 km with Tripura and 96 km with Manipur.
Mizoram has border problems with Assam and other northeastern states.
The Congress chief said that after exploration of natural gas deposits in the state, additional employment would be generated for unemployed youth. "Revenue from the sale of gas would be shared equally by the centre and the state," Gandhi said.
According to an estimate of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, a huge area of Mizoram contains deposits of natural gas, first discovered in 2011.
The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson said that the under-construction Kaladan, Tuirial and Tuivai hydro-power projects and the Kaladan Multi-Modal Transport Project with neighbouring Myanmar would be completed soon, creating more employment for youth.
Well equipped sports infrastructure, including women`s hostels, would be set up in all district headquarters to help students, sports persons and working women, the Congress chief said.
Appreciating the musical talent of Mizo youth, Gandhi proposed the setting up of a convention centre which would train musicians and hold concerts.
Referring to the UPA government`s flagship programme, Food Security Act, Gandhi said: "It would not only curb malnutrition, but also ensure that poor people both in rural and urban areas could avail food at a cheaper price."
Saying that the UPA government was aware of the high prevalence of cancer and other diseases in Mizoram, the Congress president announced that a 100-bed cancer hospital equipped with state-of-the-art technology for diagnosis and treatment would be set up.
Gandhi, accompanied by Mizoram Chief Minister Lalthanhawla, AICC leaders Ambika Soni and Luizinho Faleiro, went to the mountainous Lunglei by helicopter.
She returned to Delhi after the election rally.
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi is expected to address several election rallies in poll-bound Mizoram later this week.
Election to the 40-seat Mizoram assembly will be held Nov 25. Mizoram is currently ruled by the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened