Strict security measures during PM`s Manipur visit
Imphal:Amidst boycott calls by some
organisations, security has been stepped up in Manipur ahead
of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit on Saturday.
Some social organisations like the United Committee
Manipur and All Manipur United Clubs` Organisation in a joint
statement on Friday said they would boycott the PM and UPA
chairperson Sonia Gandhi`s visit to register their dismay over
"suffering by the Manipuri people during the now-withdrawn
economic blockade of two national highways".
They also alleged that the Centre and state governments
had remained silent during the prolonged economic blockade.
As part of the security measures, security personnel will
prevent entry of general public at some venues, officials
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to inaugurate
some newly-constructed buildings, including City Convention
Centre, Assembly Building, High Court Building and Manipur
Films Development Corporation during his visit.
He will also address a general meeting at Kangla in the
heart of the Imphal city.
State police sources said media persons would be allowed
to attend only one of the functions of their choice for
Some insurgent organisations have also called for a
boycott of the visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy